Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Recent DIYs

I got a wild hair last night and decided to do a few DIY projects. Things that I had pinned on Pinterest but had yet to get around to. 

The first one that I decided to do was an idea that I found from here. The link goes to my pin, and will then take you to the tutorial that I used to get myself started. Its a pretty simple project, so I didn't necessarily need a step by step how-to, but it helped to know exactly what items I needed.  

I used:
-Half pint Mason Jars
-Pretty patterned card stock
-Baking soda
-Lavender oil scents
-Paring knife

Its so simple I feel like I don't need to describe how to do this, but for the sake of the post, I will. 
First I took the metal seal lid off of the mason jar to use as my guide to cut out my card stock.
Next I cut out my card stock and placed it in the lid and screwed it onto the mason jar. Then I used my paring knife to poke holes in the card stock. In the tutorial, it suggested that you use a thick needle to poke the holes, but I didn't have one, and the knife worked just as well, it's just not a pretty. 
Then I removed the lid and filled the Mason Jar with baking soda, probably a little over a half a cup.
Then I put about 12 drops of my lavender oil scent into the baking soda, before I screwed the lid back onto the jar. 
Ta-da! Now you have a cheap air freshener!
I'm using mine for my closet.

My second project of the night was a mail holder that we can hang on the side of the fridge. I'm so sick of looking at the mail cluttered all over the counter and kitchen table. 
I got my inspiration from here.
I used a recently empty Cheerios box for this project. 
I wish I could say the hardest part of this project was wrapping the box with the wrapping paper, but it wasn't... It was actually finding the wrapping paper that I wanted to use for this project. 
Thank you Wal-Greens, you never let me down!
Basically all I did was wrap it like a really awkward present.
I forgot to buy magnets, so as of right now it isn't actually hanging on the fridge, but It still looks darn good! Not to mention that the counter looks EVEN BETTER without all the clutter!

Since my mail holder project required wrapping paper, I made my first wrapping paper purchase since we've moved into the house. & in the game of keeping the unorganized organized, I put this inspiration to great use!


I made my paint swatch dry erase calender quite some time ago, but I never put it to good use, as in I never actually kept it updated! I think when I updated it for this month, I erased July 2011 off of it it. Go team slacker! My inspiration is from here. I do want to update it and add 4 extra orange swatches to the bottom row, to make it a more functional calendar.


Thats about it for now! I'm hoping to be back with more in a day or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment